- and Drawbacks of Plain Legal English
Special issue of the International Journal of Law, Language & Discourse on Plain Legal English
The topics envisaged for discussion include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Plain English in the system of justice (e.g. for the solution of disputes)
- Popularisation of law via plain English texts
- Benefits and drawbacks of plain English vs legalese
- Challenges ahead in the use of plain legal English
- Applications of plain English in bureaucracy: utopia or fact?
- Future scenarios in the use of plain English vs legalese
- Plain legal English and digitalisation
- Plain legal English in multi-cultural settings
- Plain English and LELF (Legal English as a Lingua Franca)
- When plain legal English divides instead of unifying (and/or vice-versa)
- Is plain legal English discriminative or inclusive?
- Plain legal language: challenges for the EU
- Plain language and legal translation
The papers must be in English.
Patrizia Giampieri (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Vanessa Leonardi (email@example.com)
Please send your abstract (300-500 words) to the Editors by 15/10/2023.
Notifications of acceptance within 4 weeks from submission