Job Description – Research Assistant, LAL, WELS (E1098)
Unit: School of Languages and Applied Linguistics, WELS, Milton Keynes, UK
Location: Home Based
Salary: Total fee for contract = £46,524.00 (300 days across 3 years)
About the Role
The School of Languages and Applied Linguistics is currently seeking an experienced researcher to support the organisation of some School’s research activities.
This is a part time role which will cover 3 calendar years (and 4 academic years), with the contract ending on 31st July 2024. It is envisaged that a total of 300 days of consultancy will be spread as follows:
Academic year 2020-21: 30 days
Academic year 2021-22: 100 days
Academic year 2022-23: 100 days
Academic year 2023-24: 70 days
- To transcribe interactional data
- To translate data to/from English and Spanish
- To enter and organise data
- To assist with managing and archiving processed data
- To provide preliminary qualitative analysis of data
- To organise research events
- To undertake proof-reading
Skills and experience
- PhD in a relevant field of Linguistics, preferably in interactional pragmatics, (interactional) sociolinguistics, conversation analysis or interactional linguistics.
- Excellent competence in English and Spanish.
- Evidence of highly effective organisational skills both in terms of data management and time management relating to managing workload.
- Proven ability in the use of a range of data related skills e.g. transcribing interactions, preliminary qualitative analysis of data and data management.
- Evidence of excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Evidence of organising events.
- Excellent attention to detail and record keeping.
- Ability to work collaboratively across disciplinary boundaries and work effectively with academic and non-academic colleagues.
- A strong record of research and/or knowledge exchange that is commensurate to the position
If you would like further details about the role before making an application then please email your query through to Resourcing-Hub@open.ac.uk quoting the reference number and job title or contact Kevin Lucas on (01908) 655544. The Open University is an Institution that strives to create an academic climate in which diversity is embraced by maintaining and respecting the dignity, respect and civility of individuals from all backgrounds, identities, cultures and experiences. The programmes in the Faculty of Wellbeing, Education, and Language Studies play an integral role in achieving the University’s widening participation and social justice mission. We strive to recruit, retain and develop the careers of a diverse pool of students and staff, and particularly encourage applications from all underrepresented groups.