Instituto Cultura y Sociedad (ICS)
University of Navarra
31009 Pamplona Navarra
About the Book
Eleonora Esposito's new book explores the politics of ethnicity and nationalism in the Caribbean from a critical discourse-analytical perspective. Focusing on political communication in Trinidad and Tobago, it offers unique socio-political insights into one of the most complex and diverse countries of the Archipelago.
Through a detailed reconstruction of Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s 2010 victorious run for office, this book offers ample empirical evidence of the multimodal discursive strategies that held the key to the success of the first woman PM candidate and her inter-ethnic coalition bid to overcome political tribalism in the country. In parallel, it explores the implications and challenges of the postcolonial Trinbagonian national project, caught between pluralism and creolization.
Through its innovative, context-dependent and interdisciplinary CDS approach, this book breaks new ground in Caribbean Studies while at the same time broadening the horizons of the Euro-American tradition of Political Discourse Studies to address the complexities of global postcoloniality.
Details of the Book Launch
The Author will be joined in a roundtable discussion by Prof. Anton Allahar (University of Western Ontario), Dr. Majid KhosraviNik (Newcastle University) and Dr. Carolina Pérez-Arredondo (Universidad Andrés Bello).
- Date: 23 June 2021 (Wednesday)
- Time: 5 - 6 pm GMT +2 (Click here to check your local time)
- Venue: ICS - University of Navarra and Live Streaming on Zoom (Click here for the Zoom link)
- Language: English
- Welcome speech from Prof. Ruth Breeze, Head of GRADUN at ICS.
- Introduction of the book by Dr. Eleonora Esposito, Author.
- Panel discussion with Prof. Allahar, Dr. KhosraviNik and Dr. Pérez-Arredondo, Invited Speakers.
- Closing Remarks