We invite applications for participating in the 6th DiscourseNet Summer School in Tutzing (close to Munich), Bavaria, in the south of Germany, 30 June – 3 July 2020.
What can you expect?
In the three-day Summer School, you will acquire practical skills about specific ethnographic and discourse analytical methods, such as interviewing, participant observation, transcribing, coding, as well as writing fieldnotes and vignettes. We will also introduce you to several software packages that might assist you in doing your research. In addition, you will acquire theoretical skills that allow you to better situate discourse ethnographic methods within your approach or your disciplinary traditions and professional ambitions. In addition to advanced scholars sharing their theoretical insights and teaching practical competences we will reserve time for reflection sessions and open discussion fora in which you are invited to share experiences, point to potential problems and discuss possibilities for solving them. If you have already collected your own empirical material, you are most welcome to suggest samples for us to analyse or discuss together.
- Dr Yalız Akbaba, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz
- Professor Jan Blommaert, Tilburg University
- Professor Endre Dányi, Bundeswehr University, Munich
- Dr Martina Kolanoski, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt
- Professor Teresa Koloma Beck, Bundeswehr University, Munich
- Professor Felicitas Macgilchrist, Georg Eckert Institute for International Textbook Research, Braunschweig
- Dr Yannik Porsché, Bundeswehr University, Munich
- Dr Jaspal Naveel Singh, The University of Hong Kong
How to apply?
The DiscourseNet Summer School “Ethnography meets Discourse Analysis” is open to PhD and post-graduate students. If you would like to apply, please send a brief summary of your research project in English (max. 250 words) and a short biography (max. 100 words) by 29 February 2020 to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope to see you in Tutzing!
Yannik Porsché and Jaspal Naveel Singh