The organising committee of the 2nd International UCM Predoctoral Conference on English Linguistics (UPCEL) are pleased to invite predoctoral students in English Linguistics programmes, including both PhD and Master's degree students, to participate in our second instantiation, which will be held on September 20, 21 and 22, 2017 at the Facultad de Filología, Universidad Complutense de Madrid. This conference is organised by the PhD Programme in English Linguistics of UCM, which has consistently maintained an Excellence Distinction by the Spanish Ministry of Education since 2004.
This conference intends to involve people from different fields who wish to share a common purpose and create an interdisciplinary space of solidarity and community; its objective is not only to show the crucial role of language in society, but also to be a meeting point where people working in diverse areas can collaborate.
Therefore, this year’s edition will serve as a forum for sharing and discussing topics related to English linguistics, especially (although not exclusively) welcoming contributions addressing social aspects and issues and how linguistics intertwines with them.
Researchers interested in taking part in this conference are encouraged to submit their proposal on the following topics:
Language in Society
- (Critical) Discourse Analysis
- Cognitive Linguistics
- Functional Linguistics
- Applied Linguistics
- Historical Linguistics
- Corpus and Computational Linguistics
- Translation and Contrastive Linguistics
CONFIRMED PLENARY SPEAKERS
Dr. Yolanda Joy Calvo Benzies (Universidad de las Islas Baleares)
Dr. Antonio García Gómez (Universidad de Alcalá de Henares)
Dr. Marco Tamburelli (Bangor University)
We invite researchers to submit proposals based on their own work in one of the following formats:
• Paper presentations: papers will be presented in 20-minute slots, followed by ten-minute discussion turns.
• Posters: posters will be at display in key areas at the conference venue.
• Please note that English is the language we will be using all throughout the conference
All abstracts must be submitted online before March 15, 2017 via EasyChair: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=upcel2017
Those who do not have an EasyChair account will need to create one.
The word limit for the submitted abstracts is 500 words, including references.
TIPS FOR A DYNAMIC PRESENTATION
The conference emphasises dialogue with the issues raised and engagement with the people attending the conference. Thus, we encourage dynamic, spirited presentations. Here are some useful tips:
• Avoid reading your paper
• Limit the text included in your slides. Use keywords
• Use visual material and creative elements
ASSESSMENT OF PROPOSALS
Each contribution will be anonymously reviewed and assessed by two members of the organising committee. The abstracts should clearly indicate:
• the research question addressed by the investigation
• the methods and materials used
• the state of completion of the research (including, for instance, provisional results).
• Abstract submission deadline: March 15, 2017 (subject to variation)
• Notification of acceptance: April 28, 2017 (subject to variation)
• Early bird registration: From notification of acceptance to June 15, 2017
• Late registration: June 16 - July 31, 2017
• Conference dates: September 20, 21, 22, 2017
The fee includes: registration, conference pack, and coffee breaks.
• Early-bird registration fee – 50€
• Late registration fee – 70€
Dr. Paloma Tejada-Caller
Dr. Marta Nadales-Ruiz
Dr. Nuria Calvo-Cortés
Mª Ángeles Jurado-Bravo
PhD Programme in English Linguistics (Universidad Complutense de Madrid)